I picked up my ticket at the travel agency this morning. I was expecting at least a glossy folder with something in it that resembles a ticket. I hoped for something I could keep as a souvenir, a reminder of the two flights. What did I get? A print-out of the two flight itineraries, which I already received when I booked the flight on Tuesday, and a statement of the charge to my credit card. The agent told me I don't have to worry about my luggage during the stopover in Chicago on the way to Beijing. That will be taken care of by the airline. On the way back when I land in San Francisco, I will have to find my bags, take them to U.S. Customs and Immigration, get them cleared, and then make sure they get to the right place so they got on the plane to Toronto. Fortunately I have more than two hours to get that done. But it seems unnecessary to me. Then of course I have to go through Canadian Customs and Immigration when I land at Pearson.
The agent told me it is much easier going to Beijing. U.S. Customs and Immigration is at Pearson airport and that makes traveling easier. What do I conclude? In order to save a considerable amount of money I will have to undergo being examined by U.S. Customs and Immigration twice. I have no need or desire to leave the airport at either Chicago or San Francisco. My destination is not in the U.S. I am just passing through. Why should I be subject to the same entry restrictions as someone whose destination is the U.S.? I suspect Canada and many other countries do exactly the same thing. If all I have access to during the stopover is my carry-on luggage why is it necessary that I go through Customs and Immigration at a stopover point? If the concern is "security" then keep me in a secure area during my stopover, put me and everyone else who is just passing through into a comfortable, secure place that we cannot leave except to board our next flight. I suppose it is much less expensive for the airlines and airports if they let national governments pay for Customs and Immigration officers rather than manage a secure stopover area themselves. And I suppose people who had stopovers of more than one or two hours would rebel at being kept "locked up". Perhaps giving passengers a choice between going to Customs and Immigration or being in a secure area could work well?
Next, a talk with my doctor about immunization, and a trip to the Chinese Consulate to hand in my application for a visa. Immunization against hepatitis seems extremely wise. I wonder if I should ask about anything else.
You're officially my garden hero. Keith and I are coming over in the Fall to reap your harvest - teehee!
ReplyDeleteI realized in Bangkok, there are millions of people around you, but you can still feel "alone". Making small connections daily really helps with that. Helps you feel like a person, and not just a mass among the masses.
I think that feeling of being alone will be especially strong in Beijing since I will not be able to read any signs or understand even simple conversations.
ReplyDelete