Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flight to Beijing booked

Today I made my planned trip to Beijing a reality. Today I booked my airline tickets there and back. I had hoped to take a non-stop flight, or if I had to stop somewhere it would be in Canada. The travel agent found a flight that stops in Chicago on the way out and San Francisco on the way back for about $800 less than either a non-stop or a stop in Vancouver. The Chicago stop is nearly three hours but it is about lunch time so eating will take some time. And I will have both my laptop and my Kobo (thank you Kyle and Lindsay) so I should not be too bored. I leave Toronto the morning of June 28 and arrive in Beijing the afternoon of June 29. That sort of makes sense. When I come back I leave at noon on July 14 and arrive in Toronto about supper time on July 14 even though I will be traveling for eighteen hours. The joy of time zones.
I thought at first I would send this news to family and friends by e-mail. The list of recipients of the e-mail kept getting longer and longer so I decided this method would make more sense. I started the blog this early not because I have a lot to say right now but because I am so excited. Going to China has been a dream of mine for many years. I never thought it would happen. I did a lot of overtime this past semester so there is "extra" money and I have almost-family (hello Bo) in Beijing this year. So I will have an almost-friendly tour guide who will try to make sure I don't get lost and who, I hope, will stop me from paying exorbitant prices for things.
I don't expect to write too much until I arrive in Beijing. I will try not to bore you too much with my preparations. I am going to use this blog not only to keep you informed but also as a record for myself. So you may hear about my travails at the Chinese Consulate (if any) or my reactions to any shots or other preventative medicine I have to get. And how does one prepare for a two week journey whose destination is half way around the world? I don't know -- I have never done this before. My passport is as pristine as the day it was issued.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Robert! I am your very first follower, of many I'm sure! I am so excited for you about this trip! Can't wait to follow your mundane and exciting experiences. Enjoy it all!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert - this is so exciting! The dreams placed on your heart that move you are the best to follow.
    I'll definitely be following your adventures here, so glad you're going to blog them! It's such a good idea to capture everything that goes on in your heart and mind while you're there. And before. I'm already liking this blog.
    Beka

    ReplyDelete